Special Education Teacher
Certificated Teachers inspire and contribute to meaningful transformative changes in our students and their families. They are innovative and creative educators who think outside the box to activate learning and achieve academic success.
We are currently looking for innovative and creative educators to lead their team to success, starting in the fall of 2023.
Elementary Certificated Teacher
Janus Academy is seeking an energetic Certificated Teacher to join the team in the Fall of 2023 who is responsible for developing a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for elementary school students with a diagnosis of autism, based on modified Alberta Education Program of Studies curriculum. The ideal candidate would have experience in the areas of literacy and numeracy. As well, the candidate should have the ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Janus Academy multi-disciplinary Education Team.
Secondary Certificated Teacher
Janus Academy is seeking an energetic Certificated Teacher to join the team in the Fall of 2023 who is responsible for developing a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for senior high school students with a diagnosis of autism, based on modified Alberta Education Program of Studies curriculum. The ideal candidate would have experience in the areas of functional academics, employment preparation and readiness, life skill development and community integration. As well, the candidate should have the ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Janus Academy multi-disciplinary Education Team to develop and grow opportunities and partnerships with community organizations/ businesses.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
The Certificated Teacher will oversee the assessment, planning, and instruction of educational aspects for students. The Certificated Teacher:
- ensures an inclusive environment where diversity is respected and members of the school community are welcomed, cared for, respected and safe.
- collaborates with the Program Coordinator (PC) and Principal to oversee and adapt curriculum plans, ensuring student programming is based on and complies with the Alberta Education’s Program of Studies guidelines, as required by Alberta Education.
- ensures the Education Team plans instruction that incorporates orderly student development.
- collaborates with the PC to ensure effective and efficient Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) program delivery.
- teaches students in a variety of manners which project an image of enthusiasm, motivation, and encouragement.
- ensures high standards of learning of the subject matter, professional practice, and Teaching Quality Standards are met.
- provides professional educational leadership and mentoring in the classroom.
- makes use of services and support in the classroom and in the school to fulfill the students’ potential and to follow Janus Academy routines and procedures.
- maintains good order and discipline amongst students under their supervision, safeguarding health and safety at all times.
- participates in regularly scheduled staff and team meetings, school events, spirit days , and field trips.
- conducts and/or participates in Parent Teacher conferences for all assigned students.
- respects confidentiality as it pertains to parents, students, and staff members in a professional and ethical manner as required by Janus Academy Policies and Procedures.
- ensures consistent, positive, and accurate communication between the school and families through regular verbal and written contact regarding program, student’s progress, opportunities for involvement, special concerns, and family needs.
- keeps up-to-date records of student achievement, assessment results, and reporting to parents. Reporting methods include verbal and written communication, Individual Program Plan (IPP), Report Card (RC), and Assessments.
- serves as a member of a multi-disciplinary team as appropriate.
- follows all other policies, regulations outlined in the Education Act, Private School Regulation, Standards of Special Education, Janus Academy Policy and Procedures, the Code of Ethics and the Practice Review of Certificated Teachers and Certificated Teachers Leaders Regulation.
- performs other duties and assignments as requested.
- Bachelor of Education degree is a requirement.
- an Interim or Permanent Professional Certificate recognized by Alberta Education is a requirement.
- documentation of successful practicum and/or teaching experiences is required.
- knowledge of the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) is an asset.
- a strong list of references is required.
- a police clearance which includes a Vulnerable Sector Check and an Intervention Record Check is required.
- First Aid / CPR certification is an asset.
- the ability to obtain a Class 4 – S accreditation Driver’s License is an asset.
The Certificated Teacher, as a collaborative member of the Education Team*, engages in and nurtures a culture where all specialists and support staff view themselves as facilitators of learning. This position provides staff support through training and mentorship.
*Education Team consists of but is not restricted to Program Director(s), Training Director, Program Coordinator(s), Classroom Coordinator(s)/Certificated Certificated Teacher(s), Group Instructor(s), Behavior Therapist(s), and external contracted supports such as Speech Language Pathologists (SLPs), Occupational Therapists(OTs), and Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs).
Please send resume to:
200-403 33 Street N.E
Calgary, AB T2A 1X5