Special Education Teacher
Janus Academy was established in 1997 and is an accredited private school exclusively for children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD). We are a small school making a big difference in the lives of our students and their families.
The Certificated Teacher (CT) serves as being responsible for developing flexible educational programming ensuring assigned students are supervised and receive education in a learning environment that provides specialized instruction based on the Alberta Education’s Program of Studies. Adaptations and modifications to the learning objectives to meet each individual student is required, with an emphasis on functional learning objectives, lanaguge development, independence and socialization.
Reporting to the Principal, the CT works in collaboration with the Program Coordinator(s) (PCs) and classroom staff to assess, plan and provide specialized education that meets the goals and objectives of Janus Academy and those of the students. The CT is responsible for oversight of all student learning objectives, learning outcomes, assessment and reporting for their assigned students. With the support of assessments, the education program is incorporated within the student’s Individualized Program Plan (IPP) and Report Card (RC) to meet Janus Academy’s Mission and Vision to provide excellence in teaching instruction that meets the student’s emotional, social, and learning needs.
The CT, as a collaborative member of the Education Team*, engages in and nurtures a culture where all specialists and support staff view themselves as facilitators of learning. This position provides staff support through training and mentorship.
*Education Team consists of but is not restricted to Program Director(s), Training Director, Program Coordinator(s), Classroom Coordinator(s)/Certificated Certificated Teacher(s), Group Instructor(s), Behavior Therapist(s), and external contracted supports such as Speech Language Pathologists (SLPs), Occupational Therapists(OTs), and Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs).
We are currently looking for an energetic and passionate individual to join the team starting January 2023.
Key duties and responsibilities: The Certificated Teacher will oversee the assessment, planning, and instruction of educational aspects for students.
- ensures an inclusive environment where diversity is respected and members of the school community are welcomed, cared for, respected and safe.
- collaborates with the Program Coordinator (PC) and Principal to oversee and adapt curriculum plans, ensuring student programming is based on and complies with the Alberta Education’s Program of Studies guidelines, as required by Alberta Education.
- assures the Education Team plans instruction that incorporates orderly student development.
- collaborates with the PC to ensure effective and efficient Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) program delivery.
- teaches students in a variety of manners which project an image of enthusiasm, motivation, and encouragement.
- ensures high standards of learning of the subject matter, professional practice, and Teaching Quality Standards are met.
- provides professional educational leadership and mentoring in the classroom.
- makes use of services and support in the classroom and in the school to fulfill the students’ potential and to follow Janus Academy routines and procedures.
- maintains good order and discipline amongst students under their supervision, safeguarding health and safety at all times.
- participates in regularly scheduled staff and team meetings, school events, spirit days , and field trips.
- participates and provides oversight and direction to ensure programming and learning objectives follow Alberta Education’s Program of Studies.
- conducts and/or participates in Parent Teacher conferences for all assigned students.
- respects confidentiality as it pertains to parents, students, and staff members in a professional and ethical manner as required by Janus Academy Policies and Procedures.
- ensures consistent, positive, and accurate communication between the school and families through regular verbal and written contact regarding program, student’s progress, opportunities for involvement, special concerns, and family needs.
- keeps up-to-date records of student achievement, assessment results, and reporting to parents. Reporting methods include verbal and written communication, Individual Program Plan (IPP), Report Card (RC), and Assessments.
- follows all other policies, regulations outlined in the Education Act, Private School Regulation, Standards of Special Education, Janus Academy Policy and Procedures, the Code of Ethics and the Practice Review of Certificated Teachers and Certificated Teachers Leaders Regulation.
- performs other duties and assignments as requested.
- Bachelor of Education degree is a requirement.
- an Interim or Permanent Professional Certificate recognized by Alberta Education is a requirement.
- documentation of successful practicum and/or teaching experiences is required.
- knowledge of the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) is an asset.
- a strong list of references is required.
- a police clearance which includes a Vulnerable Sector Check and an Intervention
Record Check is required.
- First Aid / CPR certification is an asset.