Special Education Teacher
Janus Academy is seeking a Certificated Teacher who is responsible for developing a flexible program and learning environment that provides specialized instruction for Junior and Senior high school students with a diagnosis of autism, based on modified Alberta Education curriculum. The ideal candidate would have a strong interest in, or experience in the areas of employment preparation and readiness, life skill development and community integration. As well, the candidate should have the ability to work collaboratively with other members of the Janus Academy staff to develop and grow opportunities and partnerships with community organizations/ businesses.
We are currently looking for an energetic individual to join the team in the Fall of 2022.
Key duties and responsibilities:
The Certificated Teacher will oversee the assessment, planning, and instruction of educational aspects for students. The Certificated Teacher
- ensures an inclusive environment where diversity is respected and members of the school community are welcomed, cared for, respected and safe.
- collaborates with the Program Coordinator (PC) and Principal to oversee and adapt curriculum plans, ensuring student programming is based on and complies with the Alberta Education’s Program of Studies guidelines, as required by Alberta Education.
- assures the Education Team plans instruction that incorporates orderly student development.
- collaborates with the PC to ensure effective and efficient Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) program delivery.
- teaches students in a variety of manners which project an image of enthusiasm, motivation, and encouragement.
- ensures high standards of learning of the subject matter, professional practice, and Teaching Quality Standards are met.
- provides professional educational leadership and mentoring in the classroom.
- makes use of services and support in the classroom and in the school to fulfill the students’ potential and to follow Janus Academy routines and procedures.
- maintains good order and discipline amongst students under their supervision, safeguarding health and safety at all times.
- participates in regularly scheduled staff and team meetings, school assemblies, and field trips.
- participates and provides oversight and direction to ensure programming and learning objectives follow Alberta Education’s Program of Studies.
- conducts and/or participates in Parent Teacher conferences for all assigned students.
- respects confidentiality as it pertains to parents, students, and staff members in a professional and ethical manner as required by Janus Academy Policies and Procedures.
- ensures consistent, positive, and accurate communication between the school and families through regular verbal and written contact regarding program, student’s progress, opportunities for involvement, special concerns, and family needs.
- keeps up-to-date records of student achievement, assessment results, and reporting to parents. Reporting methods include verbal and written communication, Individual Program Plan (IPP), Report Card (RC), and Assessments.
- follows all other policies, regulations outlined in the Education Act, Private School Regulation, Standards of Special Education, Janus Academy Policy and Procedures, the Code of Ethics and the Practice Review of Certificated Teachers and Certificated Teachers Leaders Regulation.
- performs other duties and assignments as requested.
- Bachelor of Education degree is a requirement.
- an Interim or Permanent Professional Certificate recognized by Alberta Education is a requirement.
- documentation of successful practicum and/or teaching experiences is required.
- knowledge of the principles of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) is an asset.
- a strong list of references is required.
- a police clearance which includes a Vulnerable Sector Check and an Intervention
- Check is required.
- First Aid / CPR certification is an asset.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $58,000.00-$68,000.00 per year
We are following all Covid-19 recommendations by Alberta Education